Julie Doxsee

8 poems

**

Dear Poet


The ides of September
ghosted me until I flew

back from my house
on an origami swan you

left on my knee when I
drifted. When you said

it’s crowded in my little
world I unlocked my

cedar chest, took out
little globes by the hand-

ful & with them filled
my cheeks. You filled

my cheeks with tears,
remembering to touch

my hand when the spill
of ice cubes filled

the room, snowing us in.

**

Dear Sky


Streams, waterfalls, & little
moon-side cacti spill from

a box lined with lightning. Close
by there is path leading to a huge

hole in the ground that looks like
the paradise you hallucinated

when the shoreline kicked
your ceiling. I used to

enjoy the disarming flash
you, at sunup, put in my eye

& the smell of smoke
you, through the canyon, exhaled.

Now balloons filled with
misread nightmares

swim up, searching for
the hand I can’t close

my verb around.

**

Poet Tour


On the drive away

from the mountain, a walnut
appeared on my shoulder &

you questioned the omen, not
noticing my wing. Squirrels

again mistook me for a tree & left
a piece of real tree behind

I said. You said I should
call somebody about that,

dialing my house for me.
The statue of an angel

answered & said
in an hour according

to my numbers the
wing will fall right off.

**

Sky Tour


I stuck my licked
finger in the wind &

waited for a
you-bound breeze.

The breeze blew
me down & I

flung an envelope
in the air. It will

fall from you
very soon. In

the envelope is
an airplane. In

the envelope is
a sturdy boat. In

the envelope are
soap bubbles

whiskey fumes
a new haircut

& some angels.

**

Dear Phenomenon


I took a fishing expedition in a little
yellow slicker I dreamt up when I was

five, handed you the list. You checked
it & your watch & said you had to

roll. Did you notice that round piece
of air eavesdropping like a blank

CD, the normal clothespin
becoming a pair of legs on tiptoe

before our eyes? Where did you
go when you hung a left? You

left vapor trails I tried to
tornado with my hands. I stayed

for an hour in the doorway
thinking of the hours I vacuumed

clean for you, now filled with
waterless fish.

**

Dear Metal


About the scissor collection.
Loose wingspans of you are

wall-birds not even close to lying
cupped in a hand, still there is

an unspread finger triggering-
open the fear of cool rings.

My necklace is buzzing, or is
a tripwire of pins &

needles behind the lightning.
The film is introduced by

a piece of paper you
ran your edge over,

a swept drape of hair
you razed. If you lasso

this finger later in the day
I will slip you off.

**

Phenomenon Tour


Ennui saw me on the plane
& recognized my hat from

years ago, mixing many moments
of long-time-no-see into

one comet-lit afternoon. Have you seen
the film of the raindrop rolling

up the dollhouse door? I will
put it on your lip as a souvenir. Last week

the leaves died, leaving ghosts the birds
hide behind. Other tailless animals

stare deeply at the comet till
it splits into twin balloons. You’d think

this rain would turn falling fire
to ghosts & resurrect those leaves.

**

Metal Tour


Videotape the stone's surface
to catch the hole it left behind.

This is your way of testing
each slipperiness decorated by

bombs & touches. Sit in this
white leather chair that looks

like a white leather chair &
foot-rest your machine. Migratory

songbirds are now swept away
by the dozen by the dozen

false winds & you saw their
wing explosions through the

lens. Why aren’t you a wing
explosion? Why aren’t you

a lens? You are a goblin
of the mines whose name

was handcuffed &
hauled off. You are the spoon

on a cooking show I
smelled in my dream. You

are an old bolt drilled into
a cliff that was given

to my mother long ago.

**

return to sawbuck 1.3

**
Julie Doxsee lives in Denver, Colorado, where she is pursuing a PhD in English and Creative Writing at the University of Denver. Her chapbook, The Knife-Grasses, was recently published by Octopus Books, a new press launched by the editors of Octopus Magazine. Other forthcoming publications include a chapbook, Fog Quartets (horse less press), and a book, Undersleep, (also from Octopus Books, Winter 2007/2008).