Emily Kendal Frey

4 poems

**

Dance Until Tomorrow


Dear Jalapeno,
Dear Rampant Delusion,
Dear Knife—
I sat by you
on the bus ride.
I craved you
sight unseen.
Dear Facts,
Dear Polar Opposite—
I bought you
a hat.
I sewed up
your hatch.
Dear Escape,
It was your job
to rake up the mess.
Dear Marvel,
Dear Birdbath.

**

Side Of The Lord


Dear Jalapeno,
Dear Raconteur,
Dear Breastbone—
The baby is sleeping
in Technicolor.
The feet below my
ankles are rusting
together, Dear Ace.
Are you catching
these references?
I regret their
insistence.
Choose three
from the middle
and leave me the rest.
Dear Elevation,
I'm sinking.
Dear Banjo,
You said things
would sound funnier.
Get your belt on,
Dear Pluto.
Save me a seat
by the window.

**

I'll Never Lie Again


Dear Jalapeno,
Dear Friendly Encounter,
Dear Vacancy,
Dear Welt—
You unmake me.
Dear Mustache,
Dear Tic,
Dear This is It,
Dear Caravan—
We're waiting this side
of the overpass.
Dear Tin,
Dear Severance,
I'll give you half.
Dear Rest,
Dear Only
Utterance,
Dear Pond—
I'd rescue you
but you're floating
too fast.

**

The Song Of Impossible Occurences


Dear Jalapeno,
Dear Chin,
Dear Origin—
Nothing you say
is registering.
Like a shaky
headstand, words
upend me.
Dear Version,
Dear Table,
Dear Give Away,
Dear Alphabet—
Sit me down
like a list
of complaints.
I'm the highest
fruit on top
of the pile.
Dear Throat,
Dear Check Mark,
Dear Supine—
In the inner chamber,
a tomato.
Beyond the fence,
seven nails
in a line.
Dear Cliff,
Am I flying?

**

return to sawbuck 1.5

**
Emily Kendal Frey grew up in Seattle and lives in Jamaica Plain, MA. Recent work appears or is forthcoming in DIAGRAM and RealPoetik.