Miranda Gaw
2 poems
**
The Ego, In Crayons
-- and sometimes, we can be just as cruel
to others....as we are to ourselves;
that's the tragic part. Our impatience with our child-selves.
Skirt and luggage halfway heavy-frisked
on the runway to the sucker's paradise.
Dried milk and dried honey, the apiarist's nightmare.
The southlands are farther-flung than you think
in the savage and wondrous whiteness of the empty screen.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have to say I'm falling
back on my old tricks; but I am. I'm falling back on them.
**
Disillusionment of Four O'Clock
Old men in frayed shirt-sleeves
squat on the stoops.
The eyes of the houses are partially lidded.
It's the afternoon and the cereal moths
are settling down in puddles of syrup
or deadly water.
A chain of snores rises from one room.
I think we could have thought, or would have,
or think retroactively, or will:
I think we have thought about the future
too much, and too much of us is still thinking.
**
return to sawbuck 1.5
**
Miranda Gaw invented the internet and now lives in Brooklyn. Check out her blog at geegaw.com.
**
The Ego, In Crayons
-- and sometimes, we can be just as cruel
to others....as we are to ourselves;
that's the tragic part. Our impatience with our child-selves.
Skirt and luggage halfway heavy-frisked
on the runway to the sucker's paradise.
Dried milk and dried honey, the apiarist's nightmare.
The southlands are farther-flung than you think
in the savage and wondrous whiteness of the empty screen.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have to say I'm falling
back on my old tricks; but I am. I'm falling back on them.
**
Disillusionment of Four O'Clock
Old men in frayed shirt-sleeves
squat on the stoops.
The eyes of the houses are partially lidded.
It's the afternoon and the cereal moths
are settling down in puddles of syrup
or deadly water.
A chain of snores rises from one room.
I think we could have thought, or would have,
or think retroactively, or will:
I think we have thought about the future
too much, and too much of us is still thinking.
**
return to sawbuck 1.5
**
Miranda Gaw invented the internet and now lives in Brooklyn. Check out her blog at geegaw.com.