Theresa Sotto

4 poems

**
celebration


at the hem
of the table skirt
many bottlecaps

....................to splash around in












I will dance
and you will dance
and then we will

be dancing










over there the people
go slipping into spaces
their bodies fit into
their clothes
engaging a little
more room





.................................................................................heels, what are heels

.................................................................................
when they’re higher than toes

.................................................................................what are feet

........................................................................when toes cringe around

........................................................................the chair legs










<hello.........................................
yes?........................................
oh hello>...................................










in this slouching

posture a tender smear on

the wall my hands tucked

into the little napoleons

each sweet bit accounted for

everyone lovely looking

and there









........<where is the rest
........room

........how did you know
........my interest in rooms?>










when you spin me
I am spinning
when you spin me










........if the chair had a cushion
........at its back if the cushion
........was soft if softness felt like this
........if the edges were soft
........when I watch them






here is a portion of the grass

I am standing on

my socks damp at the ankles

here is a shape

I’ve found my feet into


a shape I’ve constructed is

here





under the tent

much carousing....tumblers

your orange shirt

night is a scrim I pull

down........darkened stagelights

your orange shirt....skipping around

staying there





this late in the evening
and my hair has collapsed.
the feeling is..................
characteristic.....................

I gather my hair it is frizzy.....
and I go into it scratching.......

**
It was a nice weekend


yes it was a good movie our bike ride quite

yes it was a quite nice bike ride to the movies yes an alright movie

the movie looked good alright so moving a lovely ride

in the movies the lovelies looked good as usual the viewers moved and
I only so-so

yes a good-looking day to play nice at the movies to be so-so and
usual to be rapt with the view

I was rapt with the looking all day at the promenade I went playing
for whatever and usually

yes it is usual for weather at the promenade the playthings
gift-wrapped and a tip jar

and the terribly good-looking at play on the promenade their gift
wrapping jarring as per usual

what a usual view of the promenade what a scene quickly terrible

I can move quickly without all the terrible looking yes I have been
so-so with all the lovelies

**
Do you have lunch plans


sorry I just dashed out for lunch
sorry I carried out my lunch and dashed
I carried out my sorry plans at lunch
sorry we lunched at the carry out
we'll carry our plans to the work lunch
sorry I worked out instead of lunch
I worked out plans to lunch with so and so
I've planned a so-so lunch for all
I've planned for all to lunch where I'm not lunching with so and so
chef so and so planned a lunch for all supposedly
did so and so okay our plans to order at the corner
did you see so and so lunching with so and so in the corner
I'm so sorry something came up from the corner
I'm sorry your corner didn't come up
I'm sorry I'm all cornered up

**
We'll be there


so long as I am here and you are there I am here

so long as I am here and you are there we are together and not there

so long as I am here are we are here together you are there and we are here

so long as we are here together then you are not together with us

so long as the togetherness is lasting my hereness is what I'm after
not the reaching after the you not here

should our togetherness not be lasting I am still here now the here
and now that many are away from

so long as many are away I am concerned with the here and now

so long as I'm concerned with the here and now I am not concerned with
the then over there

if then is a major concern likely I would not be here or now with you
here and now

if hereness is what I'm after it is what I am doing that feels funny

so long as feeling funny is not lasting I am fine with the goings on
and the funny

so long as some goings on are lasting I am fine being here I am fine
being here and not there

so long as both the here and there are funny I am fine with the here and now

**
return to Sawbuck 1.7

**
Theresa Sotto lives and works in Santa Monica, CA. Her poems have been published or are forthcoming in POOL, No Tell Motel, Spinning Jenny, Coconut, Shampoo, Typo, Word For/Word, and others. Chapbooks of her poems are forthcoming in the Coconut Chapbook Series and in AchioteSeeds.