Lafayette Wattles
2 poems
**
Shame
Mouth, a winter pond;
flock of teeth, gathered
close like gulls; words,
swim, swim, swim below.
**
Dead Somewhere
I remember when men you didn't know were hide behind my leg get away strangers not come on over what you looking for the one thing I'm good at way to make a buck, when the city was doe-eyed take it all in I'm scared hold my hand how could there be so much where do they keep it all noise, when working the street was you dragging your brother's unclothed GI Joe behind your bike until its arms fell off, when giving a guy a hand meant pulling him back to his feet after using your fists on him for saying Wonder Woman couldn't beat Superman, when you used to play dress up even after your hate them why do I have to have them want to give them back look at the way everyone looks at me gives me what I want maybe they're not such a bad thing breasts arrived, when boys in the neighborhood started purring your name like cats in the dark outside your window and you in that barely there take a look it's all real and it's mine around the house bikini top the entire month of I'm thirteen can't wait to get out of here February, when your room started making that ugly vowel after vowel door's locked for a reason stay out sound, when your head disappeared in a car in the no it wasn't me lots of girls have black pony tails mall parking lot, when let me help you meant not going to turn away anymore cops busting your door down need to get your life straightened out I hate you I hate you thanks for nothing, when coming home from work meant sweet sixteen chocolate cake you not there long gone want to be treated like an adult fuck off and die on the fridge note, when can't catch my breath was finally able to breathe out of my hair takes after her old man check the obits every morning why can't I stop these what did I do wrong glad she's gone come back come back tears.
**
return to sawbuck 2.2
**
A former high school teacher and graduate of Spalding University's MFA in Writing Program, Lafayette Wattles once worked as a PA on the set of a movie with Amanda Plummer and had the good fortune of playing her dead husband in a scene that was eventually cut (which pretty much sums up his career as an actor). His poems have most recently appeared or are forthcoming in Foliate Oak, Chantarelle's Notebook, Underground Voices, Mannequin Envy, and FRIGG, among others, and his photography has appeared or is forthcoming as cover art in Blood Lotus, Thick With Conviction, and Carve.
**
Shame
Mouth, a winter pond;
flock of teeth, gathered
close like gulls; words,
swim, swim, swim below.
**
Dead Somewhere
I remember when men you didn't know were hide behind my leg get away strangers not come on over what you looking for the one thing I'm good at way to make a buck, when the city was doe-eyed take it all in I'm scared hold my hand how could there be so much where do they keep it all noise, when working the street was you dragging your brother's unclothed GI Joe behind your bike until its arms fell off, when giving a guy a hand meant pulling him back to his feet after using your fists on him for saying Wonder Woman couldn't beat Superman, when you used to play dress up even after your hate them why do I have to have them want to give them back look at the way everyone looks at me gives me what I want maybe they're not such a bad thing breasts arrived, when boys in the neighborhood started purring your name like cats in the dark outside your window and you in that barely there take a look it's all real and it's mine around the house bikini top the entire month of I'm thirteen can't wait to get out of here February, when your room started making that ugly vowel after vowel door's locked for a reason stay out sound, when your head disappeared in a car in the no it wasn't me lots of girls have black pony tails mall parking lot, when let me help you meant not going to turn away anymore cops busting your door down need to get your life straightened out I hate you I hate you thanks for nothing, when coming home from work meant sweet sixteen chocolate cake you not there long gone want to be treated like an adult fuck off and die on the fridge note, when can't catch my breath was finally able to breathe out of my hair takes after her old man check the obits every morning why can't I stop these what did I do wrong glad she's gone come back come back tears.
**
return to sawbuck 2.2
**
A former high school teacher and graduate of Spalding University's MFA in Writing Program, Lafayette Wattles once worked as a PA on the set of a movie with Amanda Plummer and had the good fortune of playing her dead husband in a scene that was eventually cut (which pretty much sums up his career as an actor). His poems have most recently appeared or are forthcoming in Foliate Oak, Chantarelle's Notebook, Underground Voices, Mannequin Envy, and FRIGG, among others, and his photography has appeared or is forthcoming as cover art in Blood Lotus, Thick With Conviction, and Carve.