Carol Guess

4 poems


**


Minus Elephant, Minus Bear


Did not want a plastic doll. Wanted a pet in the shape of a swan: a turtle perhaps, or a long-necked dog. Friends in my head took the dog for a walk. Then the cruelty-free circus rolled into town! Clowns for days, and a cardboard horse! Felt understood under the big tent's top. Years later, a sibling instead of a pet. And sit and stay on the stoop with no mittens. Beyond us, adults. Fat Elvis, soon dead. Even back then I knew I was different: a boy perhaps, or a cat with smooth claws.


**


from Doll Studies: Forensics


Littleton, Now Bethlehem



The cabin was ours all winter. You paid for this, the sleek word mistress. I touched the gun because the gun touched you. I swear I didn’t do it, although your hair was something I could have. While you were sleeping I cut it, true. If they search my house they’ll find you in boxes, sweaters that smell of the way you walked. The shot came from behind. I heard her sigh into the job. Your wife had insurance; she made sure of that. Last to see you, I’m under suspicion. My prints aren’t on the ammunition.


*


When Dolls Love Dolls


I found her; what does that make me? And not to touch. And not to see the bloated body. Believe me when I tell you what I gave her was enough. She asked for shiny, so I spit on my shoes. Worked double shifts fixing snafus on conveyers. Why didn't she speak for hours after church? Nights, I curled into her back to dream, but when I turned she left me cold. Once she called me John. I'm Fred. I don't know why she wanted freckled reindeer on the wall.


*


Carpenters Dream Of Folding Doors


Late auto, and a death in the garage. Gray hat at the center of a concrete star. Lee rehearsed with a human, recording his sprawl to determine the placement of the victimized doll. When affection dissolves, husbands ride off. How to leave home is often a concern. Brick-by-brick his wife walled this one in to risk the wild engine and the poker's swing.



**

(note on poems from Doll Studies: Forensics: These poems are based on crime scene dioramas created by Frances Glessner Lee, as photographed and researched by Corinne May Botz in her book The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death (The Monacelli Press, Inc., 2004). They are included in Doll Studies: Forensics, forthcoming from Black Lawrence Press. Information about Philco Radios was drawn from this site: http://www.philcoradio.com/history/index.htm)



**

return to sawbuck 5.2

**
Carol Guess is the author of ten books, including Darling Endangered and Doll Studies: Forensics, both forthcoming. Find out more: www.carolguess.blogspot.com

Labels: , ,