Mathias Svalina
four poems
**
from Because We Have 5
He smoked it enthusiastically,
feeling both sick & woven,
the way he imagined a thief must feel
when he remembers that both
animals & plants use cellular respiration.
His first clear memory of water,
of being suddenly aware of another breath,
resulted in a unexpected level of pain,
wanting to better express how it had been,
but most of all wonder that a man
who looked this bad
should still be alive.
**
from Because We Have 5
She has what I believe to be the characteristics
of a trigger. I love the dew feature of destiny—
I think it will save me a profound study
of the human character. Only downside I see
is it seems to have a hard time with any fight.
It was John Snow like isolated islands. Someone
tipped us off to the degraded mustard agent,
but I don't think Kay would like to take any chances.
There never has been quarter given in a fight
that close. Many of the Iraqi bloggers
rattle around the same law as the occupying forces.
And we hate ourselves. And why were no civilians
wounded, rather than killed outright? In that respect,
journalists cannot explain the silence of others.
I wrote her & I told her that she has no shame.
**
from Because We Have 5
But horror stories abound. People go on a trip for two or three days & they are busier than ever. People are flying to their holiday homes in the mouths of politicians.
Your land surveyor will measure the exact number of square meters of the plot & a time-tested system is in place to aid the boiling of water.
It was a lifestyle choice, but the global reach of technology has eased the transition.
The Restaurant is a buffet restaurant, serving continental and middle eastern food in a relaxed atmosphere.
**
from Because We Have 5
Between them,
Between them, with an occasional support.
Between them, stuck below the flooring.
I say no to a myth of architecture.
Between them, dim red emergency lights to show the way.
Between them, I sat in the copilot’s chair.
Locked, the boy said.
Who was hired at a funeral?
That was a fun weekend.
**
return to sawbuck 1.1
**
Mathias Svalina lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. His poems have been published or are forthcoming in Typo, Denver Quarterly, Fence & Columbia Poetry Review, among other journals. His first chapbook, Why I Am White is forthcoming from Kitchen Press.
**
from Because We Have 5
He smoked it enthusiastically,
feeling both sick & woven,
the way he imagined a thief must feel
when he remembers that both
animals & plants use cellular respiration.
His first clear memory of water,
of being suddenly aware of another breath,
resulted in a unexpected level of pain,
wanting to better express how it had been,
but most of all wonder that a man
who looked this bad
should still be alive.
**
from Because We Have 5
She has what I believe to be the characteristics
of a trigger. I love the dew feature of destiny—
I think it will save me a profound study
of the human character. Only downside I see
is it seems to have a hard time with any fight.
It was John Snow like isolated islands. Someone
tipped us off to the degraded mustard agent,
but I don't think Kay would like to take any chances.
There never has been quarter given in a fight
that close. Many of the Iraqi bloggers
rattle around the same law as the occupying forces.
And we hate ourselves. And why were no civilians
wounded, rather than killed outright? In that respect,
journalists cannot explain the silence of others.
I wrote her & I told her that she has no shame.
**
from Because We Have 5
But horror stories abound. People go on a trip for two or three days & they are busier than ever. People are flying to their holiday homes in the mouths of politicians.
Your land surveyor will measure the exact number of square meters of the plot & a time-tested system is in place to aid the boiling of water.
It was a lifestyle choice, but the global reach of technology has eased the transition.
The Restaurant is a buffet restaurant, serving continental and middle eastern food in a relaxed atmosphere.
**
from Because We Have 5
Between them,
Between them, with an occasional support.
Between them, stuck below the flooring.
I say no to a myth of architecture.
Between them, dim red emergency lights to show the way.
Between them, I sat in the copilot’s chair.
Locked, the boy said.
Who was hired at a funeral?
That was a fun weekend.
**
return to sawbuck 1.1
**
Mathias Svalina lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. His poems have been published or are forthcoming in Typo, Denver Quarterly, Fence & Columbia Poetry Review, among other journals. His first chapbook, Why I Am White is forthcoming from Kitchen Press.